Thursday, November 8, 2012

Martin Luther Writes That "No Greater Error Was Ever Written Than That the Blood of Jesus Saves From Sin - or That His Blood Washes Away Sin."

September 5, 1915
Received by James Padgett
Washington, D.C.

I am here, Luther - Martin Luther.

I came again because I want to tell you that I was with you this afternoon when you were reading the comments on the origin and different versions of the Bible. Among them was a reference to my version, and I want to say that while my version was a pretty correct translation, yet, the manuscripts and other versions upon which I based my translation were not the real writings of those who profess to have written them. I mean that those manuscripts were not true copies of the original epistles and books written by those whose names they bear. Many interpretations and more constructions were given to the texts of the originals than you or any other mortal are aware of.

The Bible as now written and as I translated it, is full of contradictions and errors and makes the truth hard to ascertain. Take for instance that one subject of the blood redemption.

No greater error was ever written than that the blood of Jesus saves from sin - or that his blood washes away sin.

It seems to me now so absurd that I wonder and am astonished that I could ever have believed in such an absurdity.

I know now that there is no efficacy in Jesus' blood to accomplish any such results, and the pity is that many men now believe this and, as a consequence, neglect the one vital and important requirement necessary to salvation - that is the New Birth. This and this only saves men from their sins and fits them to enter the Kingdom of God, which is the Kingdom of Jesus, for he is the Prince of that Kingdom, and the Ruler thereof.

Jesus never said any such thing, for he has told me so. This saying that his blood was shed for many is not true. He never said it, neither did he say "drink the wine," being his blood, in remembrance of him, for the wine is not his blood, and neither does it represent anything that has to do with him or his mission on earth, or his present work in the spirit world. How unfortunate that this saying is made to represent something that he did not say.

So in order to understand the real truths of God and man's relationship to Him and His plan of salvation, you must believe what the Master shall write you and what his apostles may write, for now they understand what his true mission was, and what he attempted and intended to teach when on earth, and what he is teaching now.

I also will write sometimes and give you the result of my instructions and knowledge as I received them since being here. I will not write more tonight.

Your brother in Christ,
Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment