Sunday, February 10, 2013

Von Moltke Writes A Short Note and Give His Prediction for the Outcome of the War

November 1, 1915
Received by James Padgett
Washington D.C.

I am here, Von Moltke.

Let me tell you that I am a German and have heard what the little Corporal said and that while he was a great General when on earth, yet as a spirit general he is a failure for his dear France will never see the glory that he predicts for her. She is at her best now, and when her armies commence that great advance that Napoleon speaks of, they will be met by the Germans and annihilated.

I also visit the headquarters of the allies and know their plans, and I know that Napoleon is there advising them; but he is behind the day of improvement in armament and guns and ammunition, and he is also behind the times in his advice. He has found his Waterloo and never again will he rise to become the great leader of armies. But strange to say, he thinks that he is the same wise, sagacious and tactical General that he was on earth. But he will find his mistake. The Germans will surely be victorious in this great war and the French will sue for peace and with them their allies as well.

It is no use for me to write further on this matter, because I could only repeat what I have said; but you, my friend, put into your memory and at the end of the war call forth this prediction: The Germans will become the victors.

Your friend,
Von Moltke
(The old strategist of the German armies when France fell.)
   
* * * * * * * * * *

Helen confirms that Napoleon and Von Moltke were both present and wrote their messages.

I am here, Helen.

You must go to bed and get up earlier in the morning, for you may lose business by not doing so.

I will not write much, but only say that your communications tonight were interesting, if not convincing, as to whether the allies or Germans will win. Napoleon and Von Moltke were both present, and they did not look as if they had much love for each other.

I will not tell you of my love tonight, as it is too late, but I love you, and I love my children and have been with them today. Harry is very happy and so is his wife. Edward is as usual, I don't think very happy - how sad! Nita is happy, too; she is getting on all right, and as soon as you get some money for her she will be very contented. So you see, I remembered what you said last night, and I feel better by having visited them today. Oh, my darling, do not think that I do not love them, for I do and that with all my mother's soul. But of course, not as I do you.

So go to bed and trust in God, and believe in the Master, for he will do as he promised. Good night, my dear old Ned.

Your own true and loving
Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment