Thursday, May 30, 2013

An Indian Spirit, Who Was the Last of the Mohican Tribe, Writes of His Condition of Hatred and Bitterness

March 6, 1916
Received by James Padgett
Washington, D.C.

I am the last of the Mohicans and want to write a line.

I was an Indian who lived in the early days of your country's existence and I was not a civilized Indian as you would say, but was a warrior and a leader of my tribe and have many scalps to my credit.

So you see there are some Indians in the spirit world who still glory in the deeds which they did on earth and still feel the hatred and enmity against the pale faces who inflicted injury upon them. But I understand that some Indians have lost all such feelings, and that they are happier by having done so, and it causes me to think that I may be mistaken in holding my hatred against the white people, and that I will never reach the happy hunting grounds so long as I am in the present condition of bitterness and hope for revenge.

What do you think of it?

I will do as you say, and I see that your guide is a very happy spirit, so I will ask his advice.

This is all I wish to say.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment