Monday, September 23, 2013

Edwin Forrest Writes that He is Commencing to Realize that There Must be a God of Mercy and Love

October 12, 1916
Received by James Padgett
Washington, D.C.

I am here, Edwin Forrest.

Well, Ned, I want to write you a few lines, and as your wife is here and says that I may write, I will do so.

I am glad to say that I am in a much better condition than when I last wrote you, thanks to the help that I have received from her and your grandmother, who came to me a short time ago with such wonderful love and such convincing words of cheer and hope. She is the most wonderful spirit that I have seen, and when she speaks to me it is with such authority and convincing power that I just have to believe and follow her advice or try to do so.

She prays with me at times and as she prays there comes into my soul such wonderful and strange sensations, that I know that something is coming to me that I am not acquainted with, and I feel so much better and everything gets lighter. The darkness seems to leave me and I feel like a new man; and I pray, too, though I scarcely know what it means. But this I know, that a change has come over me and hope comes to me, and with it comes belief that I will get out of my darkness and suffering.

I commence to realize that there must be a God of Mercy and Love, and that He is not inflicting upon me the sufferings that I have endured; and that maybe He will answer my prayers for help and relief from my darkness. Your wife tells me He will and that if I will have faith and pray with all my heart and soul sometime I may become beautiful and happy as she is. It is hard to believe this, but even if I can never become as she is, yet I sometimes think that I may become more beautiful and happier than I am, and I am making the effort.

You pray for me, too. I come to you at times when the other dark spirits come, and I see the effect of your help. I don't understand it, yet I see that these spirits are made better, and I must believe that there is something in what the bright spirits to whom these dark ones go tell them. I am so glad that I can write to you.

No, I have not seen Mr. Miller and don't know where he is. I will act on your advice and try to find him and do as you say, for even though I am not a bright spirit, yet if I can help him I will gladly do so. I will seek him and the next time I write will let you know just what his condition is. So thanking you, I will say good night.

Your old partner friend,
Edwin Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment