Thursday, August 21, 2014

Dr. William Ellery Channing Writes that the Unitarian Doctrine, Which He Taught on Earth, Does Not Furnish a Basis for Progress to the Celestial Heavens

March 21, 1920
Received by James Padgett
Washington, D.C.

Let me write just a line, as I merely desire to say that I have listened to what the Master has written and can testify that the love to God and love to our fellow man are not all that man needs for a basis of his religion.

I was, when on earth, a minister and taught the same doctrines (Unitarian) that the preacher of the day taught, and believed that they were all that man needed, and died in that belief; but, alas, I discovered after many years of darkness, and of happiness in my natural love that they would not furnish a basis for my progress to the Celestial Heavens - to the condition of the soul transformed by the Divine Love. I merely wanted to say this.

If agreeable to you, I should like to come some time and detail more at length my experience in learning the basis of the true religion.

I will say good night.

Your brother in Christ,
Dr. Channing.

No comments:

Post a Comment